Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Happy St. Patrick's Day from SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties
Think green this St. Patrick's Day and choose SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties!
SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties is thrilled to be celebrating St. Patricks Day this year! Here are some fun facts about St. Patricks Day:
- St. Patrick’s Day is an annual feast day celebrating the patron saint the day is named after on his death date, March 17th.
- Most people, whether they are Irish or not, wear green on this day. One of the Irish traditions is to pinch anyone who is not wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day.
- St. Patrick’s Day has become a holiday all around the world and for one day out of the year anyone can be Irish and join in the celebration.
- The leprechaun is a small Irish fairy. He is dressed like a shoemaker, with pointed shoes and a hat. He also wears a leather apron. Leprechauns are supposed to be unfriendly little men who live alone in the forest, spending all of their time making shoes and guarding their treasures. If someone catches a leprechaun, he will be forced to tell where he hides all his pots of gold. However, the leprechaun must be watched at all times. If his captor looks away, the leprechaun will vanish along with his treasure.
- Since 1962, the Chicago River is dyed kelly green during the celebration. Forty tons of dye is dumped into the river which changes color for four to five hours.
- The shamrock is Ireland’s national flower. It is also one of the main symbols of St. Patrick, which represents the Holy Trinity. The three-leafed plant is often used as a badge.
- It’s a common mistake to confuse a four-leaf clover and a shamrock. The four-leaf clover is considered lucky because they’re generally hard to find.
Happy St. Patrick's Day !
Why Plumbers Refer SERVPRO
Plumbers call SERVPRO because they know time is the most important factor in determining how much damage there is to a home after a water damage.
Most homeowners have a plumber they know and trust to fix leaky pipes, install new appliances and help maintain their home. Did you know that most plumbers have a water damage company that they prefer to recommend? Plumbers are often the first onsite when a sump pump fails or a dishwasher overflows. They can fix the problem by replacing the sump pump or repairing the dishwasher, but they do not have the tools or training to make sure the surrounding structure is dry. That is why they call SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties. They know that they can trust us to remove any standing water, provide professional advice on what can be saved and what must be replaced, work with insurance to get payment quickly and dry the remaining structure. Plumbers are at water damages all the time, so they know what can happen if they are allowed to sit. They recommend calling us right away to minimize the damage saving you money, time completing repairs and making it, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Works With Local First Responders To Locate the Source of a Water Damage
Our SERVPRO Production Manager is showing the local fire department where the source of water is so they can get the sprinkler system shut off.
SERVPRO was already onsite cleaning up a water damage when the fire alarm went off at this local hospital. The local fire department was dispatched right away while SERVPRO worked with the maintenance department to locate the source of the additional water. Unfortunately, the winter storm that caused the first water damage broke a second sprinkler in a different part of the building. When the fire department showed up, SERVPRO was able to direct them to the source of loss and to the room with the shutoffs for the sprinkler system. This prompt response resulted in less water getting out overall, and greatly reduced the amount of water released from the sprinkler system. The customer was grateful for SERVPRO's assistance. If you want to improve response times before you experience a fire or water damage, contact us at 219-779-7577 and ask about our free Emergency Ready Profile. It allows us to locate and document shutoffs for your gas, electric and water as well as put contact information for all the people you might need at 2:00am in one place.
Why Insurance Professionals Refer SERVPRO
Insurance professionals understand that the longer a fire or water damage sits, the higher the claim cost ends up being. Insurance agents and adjusters recognize that while policyholders are responsible for secondary damage caused by not cleaning up a loss promptly, they can assist their customers in preventing secondary damage altogether by pointing them in the right direction.
Insurance professionals are uniquely positioned to be able to both educate and assist their customers mitigating their property. Most homeowners have never experienced a water or fire damage and turn to their insurance professional for advice on what to do next. Insurance professionals recommend contacting SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton, and Southern Lake Counties because as a locally owned and operated company we are able to respond promptly to limit the damage as much as possible. This allows the customer to relax and watch as we make it, "Like it never even happened."
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties
Have a safe holiday season!
At SERVPRO of Benton, Jasper, Newton and Southern Lake Counties we want to wish you a happy and safe holiday season! Please keep these Christmas Tree Fire Safety Tips in mind during this holiday season!
1. If you use a live tree, choose one with fresh green needles that do not fall off when touched and keep it watered to make it last.
2. When purchasing an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire-retardant.
3. When decorating your tree replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
4. Place your tree it at least three feet away from any heat source including your fireplace, heaters and candles.
5. Never leave Christmas tree lights on if the tree is unattended. Unplug them when you go to bed or leave the home.
6. Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are operating properly.
Have a safe and joyful holiday season!!
SERVPRO volunteering at the Foodbank of Northwest Indiana
You can see our Sales and Marketing Representative, Jay, on the right side of the photo.
As a locally owned and operated business, we pride ourselves in being active in our community. Recently, we had the opportunity to volunteer as part of the EPIC Committee with the Crossroads Regional Chamber of Commerce. The EPIC Committee organized the event so that as many people as possible could partner with the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana. The Food Bank of Northwest Indiana has been providing critical food assistance to individuals and families in need since 1982, and is currently the only food bank serving Lake and Porter counties.
Our Sales and Marketing Representative, Jay, said she thoroughly enjoyed the event. As we approach the holiday season, consider making a donation at foodbanknwi.org/growinghope to benefit families in Lake and Porter County. If you need assistance, you can also find a pantry on their website at https://foodbanknwi.org/get-help/find-a-pantry/